Phonological Theory II
Tuesdays and Thursdays 2:00-3:50 in Haines A74
See also the CCLE page, by logging in to
How to make fancy brackets in MS Word
and here is a
Word version that you can copy the examples from
Kie's student hours: Wednesdays, 2-4 PM,
in Campbell 3122A
Term paper stuff
- Class 1 (T of Wk 1, Jan. 6): Deep into SPE, part I
- Class 2 (R of Wk 1, Jan. 8): Deep into SPE, part II
- Class 3 (T of Wk 2, Jan. 13): Deep into OT, part I
- Class 4 (R of Wk 2, Jan. 15): Analysis session
- Class 5 (T of Wk 3, Jan. 20): Deep into OT, part II
- Class 6 (R of Wk 3, Jan. 22): Analysis session
- Class 7 and 8 (Wk 4, Jan. 27 and 29): Loanword and L2 phonology, guest lectures by Robert Daland
- Workbook for Week 4
- Class 9 and 10 (Wk 5, Feb. 3 and 5): Process application
- Class 11 and 12 (Wk 6, Feb. 10 and 12): Process interaction
- Class 13 (T of Wk 7, Feb. 17): Structure above the segment, part I
- Class 14 (R of Wk 7, Feb. 19): Structure above the segment, part II
- Class 15 (T of Wk 8, Feb. 24): Structure above the segment, part III
- Class 16 (R of Wk 8, Feb. 26): Structure below the segment, part I
- Class 17 (T of Wk 9, Mar. 3): Structure below the segment, part II
- Class 18 (R of Wk 9, Mar. 5): Structure below the segment, part III
- Class 19 (T of Wk 10, Mar. 10): Phonology-morphology interface revisited, part I
- Class 20 (R of Wk 10, Mar. 12): Phonology-morphology interface revisited, part II
Study questions and study guides for readings
Tips on reading scholarly
I'll usually post two versions of each assignment:
The main special font that I use is Doulos IPA
(see below for link to download these free fonts
In theory font-embedding should make the special characters available
to you even if you don't have the font, but it doesn't always work.
- the PDF version, which is best for viewing and printing
- a MS Word version, with fonts embedded, so that you can (I hope) copy and
paste data to your write-up
- Rule analysis of Palauan verb paradigms, due
Friday, Jan. 16 Tuesday, Jan. 20.
- OT analysis of metaphony systems, due Tuesday, Feb. 3.
- Directionality in Woleaian, due Friday, Feb. 13.
- Process interaction in Kalinga, due Friday, Feb. 20.
- Stress in Fijian, due Friday, Mar. 6.
- Autosegmentalism in Quechua, due Friday, Mar. 13 (shorter than usual, I hope!).
Bruce Hayes's OTSoft
If you give it candidates, constraints, and constraint violations,
it gives you a constraint ranking (if there is one) and makes nice tableaux
Also runs Gradual Learning Algorithm and MaxEnt OT
Staubs et al.'s OT-Help
Accepts OTSoft-format input files.
Will rank your constraints in standard OT,
but will also give Harmonic Grammar constraint weights--and implements
serial versions of both.
Floris van Vugt's Marpa-OT
Lets you make an OT tableau in a spreadsheet program and then convert it
into code you can paste into a LaTeX document.
Feature chart and definitions by Bruce Hayes
includes handy Excel spreadsheet
free software (Windows only) for learning about and manipulating
Floris van Vugt's Pheatures
A modern Java version of FeaturePad, with many improvements!
Fonts, software, and more. To go straight to free fonts, click
The International Phonetic Association (IPA)
Various useful things, including a mention of how to get phonetics fonts for
TeX/LaTeX (click on "fonts" in the menu on the left).
Doug Arnold's LaTeX for Linguists pages
How to do various linguistic things in LaTeX: IPA symbols, OT tableaux,
autosegmental representations, glossing, trees...
Basic information on all the world's languages.
Speech Internet dictionary (SIPhTrA)
By John Maidment
Online sounds from the UCLA Phonetics Lab Archive
IPA chart that you can click on to hear sounds
Back to Kie Zuraw's home page.